Sunday, September 1, 2013

It's a Party in the PC(USA)!


It's pretty hard to tell, but I hopped off the plane at LAX with a dream and my cardigan...after a week of YAV Orientation in Stony Point, NY. The week was a total roller coaster of energy and exhaustion, pressure and relief, anxiety and confidence, laughter and tears, and playing and praying. As is their nature, roller coaster rides come to an end and as each day came to a close I felt grounded and at peace. What an honor to have spent that week surrounded by my people, by my brothers and sisters. We grew together through worship and fellowship and did our best to break down some challenging topics. I joined a herd of manatees and began some excellent relationships. Feeling God in these connections brought me to tears nearly every day and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

My five housemates and fellow dwellers and I have been in Hollywood for pretty much a week now. It is really starting to feel like home but I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel like a vacation still. I am eager to start working at My Friend's Place and develop a routine but am pleased to be present in this 'in-between' time as we grow as a house community and neighborhood and get to know the city. We went to a taping of an episode of The Soup which was pretty darn exciting. We started settling into our apartment. We worked with the Angel Food Project which provides meals for folks living with HIV/AIDS. We are figuring out how to best grocery shop on our budget. We are learning about each other, hearing stories, and sharing talents. We have done some balling in our courtyard. We've sweat more than anyone ever should. We've broken bread together. We've been welcomed home with open arms. 

Thank you to everyone who is supporting me and following along with this journey. I am blessed to have brought you with me. I carry you all in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I am partial to the manatee
    who emanates no vanity.
    He swims amidst anemones
    and hasn't any enemies.

    ReplyDelete